Who are you?
Marketing Divaz is an internet marketing consulting firm offering programs and services to assist marketers in creating effective online marketing strategies.
Why Did you start your business?
I had dabbled in online marketing for a variety of projects prior to starting Marketing Divaz. I created my first website back in 2004, started blogging and when social media was introduced, I loved figuring out how to incorporate it into the marketing strategies of the companies I was working for.
My business partner, Jenn had always been a rockstar in marketing big corporations. We love marketing, had known each other for over 10 years and after having many conversations about our experiences with companies not understanding social media marketing, we knew it was time for us to start a business dedicated to helping them be more successful.
In the beginning it was more of a side project that Jenn and I knew would turn into a thriving business. She was seven months pregnant and I was still working a full time job so you can imagine the craziness that was taking place while we were creating the company.
What makes your business unique?
Like most small businesses, Marketing Divaz has evolved as a company and we recently merged with a full service Internet marketing agency, Juicy Results. This was huge for us because our services expanded into SEO, website development and paid search.
We offer a guaranteed SEO plan, a unique an effective way to measure the effectiveness of your social media marketing efforts and our programs are designed specifically for marketers working for corporations.
Although we are an internet marketing firm, I attribute a lot of the success, especially in the beginning, from the relationships we have build in our local community. I spent eight years working for the Greater Boca Raton Chamber of Commerce and I was so honored that some of the professionals I had built relationships with for years decided to hire us when we first started. I am very grateful for that.
Social media is awesome, but you can never underestimate the power of face to face meetings.
What's the biggest mistake you've made with your business and what did you learn from it??
We have definitely made some mistakes along the way and have learned a lot. One expensive mistake we made was investing in a software that at the time we believed we needed, but if we had done a bit more research and better understanding of where were were trying to go as a company, we didn't and shouldn't have invested in. We got excited about it, signed a year long contract that we couldn't get out of and it is something we will never do again.
what big goal do you have for your company and how do you plan to achieve it?
We have lots of goals for the company. We are currently writing our first book, working on a new product specifically designed for the marketer working for a corporation and we will continue to develop unique projects.
Like most entrepreneurs, we have had our share of shiny object syndrome, but we're getting better every day. Once we have identified a goal and know exactly what we want to achieve, we have weekly meetings and nobody leaves that meeting without an action item. We all know what we are working towards and we know that it's the small habits and weekly action items that will ultimately help us get there. This way, when another opportunity comes our way, it makes it much easier to say no (or not now) to it instead of trying to bite off more than we can chew.
what advice or tips do you have for people wanting to start their own business or follow their dreams?
First, decide that you are truly committed to it. It's easy to talk about wanting to pursue something or follow your dreams, but you have to know going into it that it is not always going to be sunshine and rainbows. You must be committed to the process and be ready to enjoy the entire journey along the way.
Whether you want to start a business, write a book, create a movement, your heart has to be in it and you have to be willing to do whatever it takes.
A few things to remember:
1. Ask for help. You would be surprised how many people will be there to support you, especially those who have been through it and want to make sure you don't make the same mistakes they did.
2. Start! There is no such thing as the perfect time. Whatever you want to create, do something today that gets the ball rolling. Don't sit around waiting for inspiration to strike. You will be inspired and motivated once you get started.
3. Stop being a perfectionist. I still work on this every day. Whether it's writing a blog post, creating a new presentation or presenting a new product/service to our clients, sometimes I have trouble sharing it because I want it to be perfect before it goes out. Nothing is perfect and the only way to make things better is to get them out, get feedback and make adjustments.
4. Surround yourself with awesomeness. Most people are not passionately pursuing their dreams so stop asking them what you should do. Hang out with others who are doing cool things, making a difference and creating the life they want.
5. Have patience. There is no such thing as an overnight success. We all want our businesses and projects to thrive, but it takes time so enjoy the journey and have faith in the process.
I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. Bottom line is that if you want something bad enough, you will figure out a way to make it happen. The world is waiting to see what you've got so show us!